Images of area sports teams

ABOVE: This is an image of the Darrtown semi-pro baseball team that played a three-game series in 1920 that drew over 2,000 PAID spectators to a ball diamond in a farm field, just south of town. If you like baseball and have not read the story, you may access it at: 1920 Darrtown Baseball.

1944 OXFORD STEWART ATHLETIC TEAMS

Oxford teams are included here, because many students from Darrtown and Milford Township transferred to Oxford Stewart High School, after the Darrrtown High School closed in 1939 and many continued to attend Stewart High, until it closed in 1956, when the Talawanda School District was created and the Talawanda High School opened.

Unless noted otherwise, the following images belonged to Eugene "Knute" Wagonfield, a Darrtown native and accomplished athlete. Prior to his death, in July of 2013, Knute listed the names of most of the players on the back of the photographs.


In November of 2015, Dale Bufler, another Darrtown native and also an accomplished athlete, helped identify some of the persons in the photos.

ABOVE: OXFORD STEWART BASKETBALL - 1944

L-R:

FRONT ROW:  John Woodruff, Walter Watkins, Ennis Miller, Paul Neuenschwander, Dale Bufler, Emmert "Wimpy" Browning, and Charles Wagonfield

SECOND ROW: Jimmy Hansel, Jack Sheard, (unknown), Richard Leichman, (unknown), (unknown), (unknown), and Charlie Bass.

BEHIND SECOND ROW AT THE LEFT: Coach Lawrence "Larry" Bowers

(Bufler, Browning, Wagonfield, Hansel, and Leichman were "Darrtown boys.")

ABOVE: OXFORD STEWART BASEBALL - 1944

L-R:

FRONT ROW: Harry Schwegman, Ralph Clark, Charlie Wagonfield, Ambrose Schwegman, Emmert Browning, Dale Bufler, and Jim Hansel.

SECOND ROW: Carl Boomershine, Jack Shear, Charlie Bass, Leon Foster, Dick Leichman, Paul Neuenschwander, Walter Watkins, and Curtis Churchman.

BEHIND SECOND ROW AT THE LEFT: Coach Lawrence "Larry" Bowers

(Bufler, Browning, Wagonfield, Hansel, and Leichman were "Darrtown boys.")

1941 HANOVER BASEBALL TEAMS

Darrtown boys "Knute" Wagonfield and Warren Hansel, both of whom attended Oxford Stewart HIgh School, are seen in the first two images below; so, it seems unlikely that these are Hanover High school teams.  Perhaps the teams seen in the two following images were summer league teams comprised of players from area schools.

ABOVE:

Front row: Ralph Irwin, Warren Hansel, Dale Beckett, and Ed Fowler

Middle row: Bob Cramer, Chad Pence (?), Knute Wagonfield, and Sam Wiley

Back row: Dan Furry, Tim Hacker, Chuck Hacker, Ed Cininger, and John Brosius

In November of 2015, Dale Bufler, another Darrtown native and a member of the Stewart athletic teams that played Hanover teams,

helped identify the names that Knute did not include.

The following images belonged to Eugene "Knute" Wagonfield, a Darrtown boy who was a member of the two teams shown below. Before his death, in July of 2013, Knute listed the names of most of the players on the back of the photographs.

Webmaster Note:  A handwritten note on the back of the above image provided the names listed above.

     > The name “Chad Pence” may not be correct; it appeared as “Chadepence.”

     > The name “Knute” was a nickname given to Eugene “Knute” Wagonfield.

     > The name “Sam” was a nickname given to Eldon Wiley. The name “Leiser” was written, next to Sam’s name.

Webmaster Note:  The names that appear ON THE ABOVE IMAGE were written with a pen that smeared; thus it is difficult to discern the names on the front of the picture. Fortunately, the back of the photo displayed a handwritten list of names - which is replicated above. The phrase “Champs 1941” also appeared on the back of the image.

ABOVE:

Front row: Leroy Brown, Dan Furry, Oscar Leiser, Bob Kramer, Jim Hacker, and Warren Hansel

Back row: Ed Cininger, Knute Wagonfield, Ralph Irwin, Chuck Hacker, Ed Fowler, and Dale Beckett

RIGHT:  


(L-R) Tim Hacker and Eugene "Knute" Wagonfield.


The barn and silo in the background, which are still standing in 2015, confirm that this image was taken at the site of the former Hanover school. The school building, since razed, was located in the northeast corner of Ohio State Rt. 130 (Old Oxford Road) and Morman Road intersection - about four miles northwest of Hamilton, Ohio.

Snapshots 1         Snapshots 2         Snapshots 3         Snapshots 4         Snapshots 5         Snapshots 6

Snapshots 1    Snapshots 2    Snapshots 3    Snapshots 4    Snapshots 5    Snapshots 6

Individuals