Donated items - i.e., photos, notes, newspaper items, books, maps, interviews, etc.
The - hosted by this website
The - hosted at this website; in conjunction with
The (at )
The (at ).
The (Indiana University project - digitized by Google)
The - hosted by
The - hosted by
An additional source of historical records exists in the Butler County auditor's office, where pubic records reveal the names of property owners.
BACKGROUND TO MARVIN'S GUIDE:
People occasionally contact the darrtown.com webmaster with questions about various pieces of property in or around Darrtown.
Marvin Russell, a Darrtown native, has frequently volunteered to research the history of various Darrtown properties.
On the assumption that it would empower others to conduct their own property searches, if they knew how to do so, we asked Marvin to share his approach to conducting a property search in Butler County, Ohio. In response to that request, Marvin provided the guidelines that appear at the right.
Two Darrtown-related property record searches have been contributed to this website.
Property Ownership Records
If you only want to know the name of the CURRENT owner of real estate in Butler County Ohio, you may conduct an online search at the
Click the links at the right to see the information that we currently possess.
1. You will need an accurate address (number and street) of the property that you wish to research.
2. You may wish to take some means of recording the information that you find during your research.
3. Go to the Butler County Administrative Building at the corner of Riverfront Plaza and High Street (130 High Street) in Hamilton, Ohio. Parking is available at the rear (north side) of the building.
4. You may enter the building from the parking lot or you may enter at the front of the building on High Street.
5. Office hours are 8 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Friday. Document recording is available from 8 AM to 3:30 PM. There is a nominal fee for recording.
6. Go to the Recorder’s office, which is located on the second floor.
7. Go to the Customer Service desk for help. Inform the personnel that you wish to look up a certain piece of real estate property and they will assist you. They are very good about helping. They will escort you back to the old books, from the early 1800’s, if you want to search that far back in time.
This is a digitized Google selection. A search feature, for Cone's book, is provided within the library resource. See: Stephen D. Cone's
While this text is described as providing information about the city of Hamilton, Ohio, from 1792 to 1896, it also includes information about other Butler County communities, including Darrtown.
Cone's book serves as a resource for those who seek information about Darrtown and vicinity. Four persons with connections to Darrtown are referenced in Cone's book (the numerals, in parentheses below, represent page numbers in the Cone text).
• 1. Herbert Eugene Twitchell practiced medicine in Darrtown during the 1880's (page 226).
• 2. John W. Erwin "located" the Hamilton and Darrtown Pike, among other other roadwork projects in the Butler County area (page 304).
• 3. John Pierson, of Darrtown, lost his life in the Mexican War, while serving under Captain Ferdinand VanDerveer (page 344).
• 4. James R. Fulkerson began farming in the Darrtown area at the age of seventeen. For 12 years, he served as the superintendent of the Hamilton, Darrtown, and Fairhaven turnpike (page 415).
For more information about these thoughtful and much appreciated contributions - and to view excerpts from Mr. Miller's diaries - visit the
If your family now lives, or formerly lived, in or near Darrtown, and you want to learn how your family's history can become a part of this interactive project, visit the page.
ThESE THree resources have been particularly helpful:
... into the history of ALL previous owners of a particular piece of property, then you are invited to use the following as a guide.
In the pursuit of finding and preserving the history of Darrtown, this website draws from multiple resources, such as those listed here...
THE DARRTOWN FAMILY TREE
THE STEPHEN D. CONE
BIOGRAPHICAL & HISTORICAL SKETCHES
THE L.A. MILLER DIARIES